I apologize for being absent the last couple weeks, I’ve been one busy Bex!
As I hinted about in a couple previous posts, I crossed ANOTHER item off my bucket list in August: I became a homeowner! I’m so excited to have purchased my very own condo. I’m a big girl now!
It all happened really fast after I came home from Mexico. I happened to pop on MLS quickly at work and saw that a condo was for sale in the neighorhood I love, for a good price and had everything I wanted. Looked at it a couple days later and it was love at first sight. Suddenly offers were being made, accepted, mortgages approved and within a couple weeks I was signing my life away with the lawyer. Holy crap!
The past month was spent furiously packing. I started early thinking if I was proactive I could pack everything that wasn’t essential to my daily living, do a lot of cleaning, get rid of things I don’t need and be completely organized. That didn’t happen. The long drawn out packing process was tiring and I ended up throwing stuff in boxes at random. Not the best decision.
I got my keys last Thursday afternoon and proceeded to move everything the same day. My first night felt completely normal, like I was home, and I loved it. I spent the following day cleaning my old dungeon apartment top to bottom, doing my walk through with the landlord, handing over the keys and saying good bye forever. I had lived in my cramped little apartment by myself for the past five years. I liked my tiny apartment, despite the darkness and the tiny closet space of a kitchen, but once I left there was no looking back.
The last week since moving has been exhausting. My personality type is one that is maybe a little OCD. I couldn’t sit down and relax and enjoy the place until everything was put away which meant that in less that a week, every single box had been unpacked. I managed to get completely settled despite being out of town for the weekend too! I am still needing to pick up a few things, such as dining room chairs, and storage bins, but I’m happy with my new home.
Things I LOVE:
- my kitchen. It’s huge (to me), it has a pantry, and a dishwasher!
- being able to do laundry without rounding up loonies, waiting for other people to empty the machine so I can use it, or worrying about getting my stuff out before someone does it for me. I can throw laundry in in the morning, change it at noon, and hang everything to dry in the laundry room out of the way so my place isn’t over run by hang dried clothes. AWESOME
- my fantastic view. I love being able to look out at my beautiful treed city
- heated underground parking. This will be heaven in a couple months when the snow arrives and the temperatures get even colder
- I’m still so close to the essentials, work, both gyms, grocery store and good friends
- the fact that it’s MINE! I’m no longer paying someone else’s mortgage, I’m paying my own and have gained a huge investment.
Owning my own place was something I wanted to achieve before marriage. I wanted to do it myself before settling down and sharing responsibility and I’m pumped it’s something I have achieved before I even turned 25. I couldn’t be more happy here!